Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Holiday Challenge

With the holidays quickly approaching, Jude and I have already started thinking about our plans for them. Thinking about Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Birthdays. One word. STRESSFUL!

Holidays used to be so much fun growing up, no stress, just fun. The older you get the more stressful they get. Everyone knows it. I love them but you can't deny that dividing the time up between families, buying gifts, preparing a dish to pass (personally I enjoy that part), and dealing with family drama that is inevitable around holidays is stressful.

Here's the deal, Jude and I are at an "awkward" stage in our lives. Were not married so technically were not considered a "family". But I like being with him on the holidays, he's my favorite person in the world so I want to spend the best days of the year with him. We spend the holidays together and we always have. However since we are still in that "awkward" stage we still have to go to every single holiday gathering that everyone has. So here we go, my dad's parents house, my mom's family at our house, his dads house, and his mom's family at someones house. That's four holiday celebrations in one day. I love them all but I never feel like we give enough time to everyone.

This year, I'm doing a different approach to the holidays and I challenge y'all to join me.

Holiday Challenge Rules-
1) This is my holiday too, I wont feel guilty about dividing my time
2) I'm going to enjoy the moments I have with everyone
3) I will not get involved in any drama
4) I'm going to spend time with who I want on the holidays (meaning Jude)
5) I will not be the only person willing to be flexible this year
6) The holidays are about the kids (my nephews, niece, and Jude's baby cousin) not about the adults
7) I will start my own traditions this year (Jude and I are going to Christmas Eve mass this year together) and anyone who wants to join can
8) I will sit back, sip on some wine, stuff some turkey into my mouth, watch some football, take a deep breath, and relax

We'll see if I actually follow through on all these rules. Not a year goes by where Jude and I don't contemplate going to the Caribbean and skipping them all, but we really do love everyone so how could we do that? I'd love to hear your approach to holidays, fill me in!

4 comments:

  1. I remember that awkward stage all too well. When your married it isn't much better, but at least you don't get the guilt trip of "leaving your family for someone else's." And you know what? Your right in the end it doesn't matter when you leave their celebration goes on, and you deserve to be happy and celebrate how you want as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is that one of those houses you mentioned above decorated for Christmas? Because I think I'd just stay at that one all day!!! lol. It is seriously difficult to please everyone and see everyone for the holidays...totally hear you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a wonderful idea!!! Hopefully sticking to it won't be as frustrating as without it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my blog! I really do appreciate it and I read and try to respond to all of your comments! Love you all :)