Monday, July 22, 2013

DIY: Rustic Entry Table

      DIY post #2 here we go! I found something like this entry table at Pier 1 for $600 and we made the whole table for well under $100...whoop whoop!! I can't wait to add this to our apartment and decorate it with bright yellow and plum picture frames and big yellow decorative baskets for the bottom two shelves!

WARNING: this is probably the hardest DIY post I will make. It has some complicated steps...but trust me it is worth it!

Supplies:
For the top- 3 boards that are 2 inches thick, 6 inches wide, and 54 inches long
For the legs- 4 boards that are 2 inches thick, 4 inches wide, and 37 inches long
For the frame around each shelf- 7 boards that are 2 inches thick, 2 inches wide, and 54 inches long
also you will need 4 boards that are 2 inches thick, 4 inches wide, and 15 inches long
For the 2nd and 3rd shelf- you can use plywood for this, make sure it is at least 20 inches wide, and about 4 feet long
For the "X" braces- you will need 4 boards that are 2 inches thick, 2 inches wide, and 6 feet long
You will need plenty of screws (I used black ones), 8 metal bracing brackets, Stain (I used sunbleached) and I also stained after it was all put together!

1) Again, for the rustic look you want to find the oldest wood you can. If not distress it, using hammers, chains, and nails! Be creative.

2) After putting out the Saw Horses, and figuring out how I want to arrange the top shelf we were ready to drill the 2x4's to the top boards!





The top shelf! I am obsessed with this wood...thank you Dad!!
3) Then it was time to add the 2x4's for the legs with more screws...it's finally starting to look like a table! P.S we put the legs in 1 1/2 inch from the top and 1 1/2 inch from the side just for looks :)


It's going to be very wobbly at this point..but don't worry by the end it is so study a sumo wrestler could sit on it!

4) Then they added the front frame and the back frame with some 2x2's. Make sure they are equal with the legs!


You want the frame to fit REALLY tight to make sure it's snug...we had to hammer the frame in to make squeeze it in. It made the table much sturdier!
5) Now the hard part. Making the frame for the next shelf... First you want to do the front and back frame, again make sure they fit snugly. Make sure they are LEVEL the whole way across the table, otherwise you will have an uneven shelf. I put each shelf about 15 inches apart but you can do what you prefer! We used 2x2's for the front and back frame and the side frame as well


Put the screw in at an angle so it attaches to the leg!


My boo boo, Tayte decided to stop over right before bed to check in on the work! Check out that cheesy smile :D
6) Now you add the plywood shelf, and screw it into the frame. We put the plywood on top of the frame but you can put it next to it if you like that better. 
Don't forget to cut out space for the legs!

It has to fit tight!

The plywood sits on top (once it's stained you can't tell its plywood) and the medal brace is beneath it. This made the whole table 100 times sturdier!

7) Repeat steps 5&6 for the bottom shelf except this time you want to use a 2x4 for the side frame and you only want the plywood to go halfway across the 2x4 so you will be able to attach the "X" bracing when you're done! 



 8) The table is now almost finished! Now all's we have to do is add the "X's" and stain!
I know it looks like a work bench now...but just wait and see!!
9) Adding the x's to the side of the table was a lot harder than I thought...getting the angle just right is nearly impossible but my Dad and Jude's Dad promise they will not give up! In the mean time here is a picture of the table with stain on it! 

I will update as soon as we get the 2x2's added on for the "x's" on each side :) This step isn't necessary it's just for looks!

The table with stain on it! Don't you love it? Just picture it with big yellow and purple frames on top of it and big yellow baskets on the shelves! Can't wait! PS this picture makes it look more purple/blue but in reality its more of a light gray!

And here is the stain we used! Sunbleached! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my blog! I really do appreciate it and I read and try to respond to all of your comments! Love you all :)