Tuesday, September 17, 2013

DIY Kitchen Table

      It has finally arrived! I have been waiting to do this project since May and I am so excited with how this turned out! This table would be unbelievably expensive at a store and we made it for under 40$! It was pretty easy too!

1) Pick out your boards! My table is 4.5 feet long and 3 feet wide so we used 3 boards that are 2 inches thick, 12 inches wide, and 4.5 feet long! That covers the top of the table. To get the rustic look you have to beat the crap out of it, I used a hammer and some old medal chains.


2) Next you want to make the frame for the table. We used 1x2's for this. We wanted the frame to be 1.5 inches from the top and 1.5 inches from the side.



PS Jude's Dad helped with this project, and he has a table saw so it went a lot faster!
3) Then you want to add two more 1x2's down each side of the bottom of the table just to give the top of the table more support!


4) Next you can drill some screws into the frame. I love the look of black screws so I didn't mind how many screws showed on the top!



5) Next you want to drill hols in the side of the table so you can add bolts into the legs to attach to the table. You want the legs to be removable so you can transfer it easier!
PS we used 4x4's that were 28 inches tall for the legs :)

you will put the bolt through that hole and a hole in the leg to secure the legs 






6) Time to stain and seal, my favorite! My Dad helped with this part!
Kona Stain...I am obsessed with this color! 

I went over the table with the stain on a brush and then my dad followed behind with a rag to lightly wipe off some of the stain to give it a more rustic look 


Add a light coat of sealant. We did 3 coats just to make it more shiny and we lightly sanded between each coat
7) add the bolts, adorable chairs and stand it up!




There ya have it! An antique looking barn wood table that cost you under 40$!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! The stain really transformed the whole table! I loveeee it! And love the chairs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my blog! I really do appreciate it and I read and try to respond to all of your comments! Love you all :)